Skip to main content
This felt relevant to the discussion we had last class surrounding prison abolition and the systemic oppression that characterizes these institutions.

I have a lot of friends who are in and out of jail and a few who are on their way in for a long time, and have unfortunately seen the inside of a prison myself (not as a visitor), so this topic is one that has recurring appearances in my life under different forms.

This was written yesterday (and posted publicly) from an illegal phone in a federal prison in New York State by a Queens graffiti writer who was sentenced to 30 years for drug trafficking:

  •  WHAT'S POPPING YALL!!!!! AINT SHIT HERE MAN JUST ANOTHER DAY IN HELL!!! I WAS JUST SITTING AROUND WATCHING TV AND BUSTING BALLS WITH MY NEW YORK PEEPS..MAN THIS FED SHIT IS SO WACK MAN..THERE'S SO MANY PEOPLE IN HERE WITH LIFE SENTENCES FOR SELLING DRUGS..LIKE THE RAPPER YOUNG JEEZY SAYS "ITS CRAZY HOW YOU GET MORE TIME FOR SELLING DRUGS THEN MURDER".. AND HE WASN'T LYING EITHER..I TALK TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE ALL THE TIME TO HEAR THERE STORIES.. AND MAN THESE FEDS ARE VICIOUS MAN.. I TALKED TO THIS CRACK HEAD DUDE.. HE WAS LIKE YO SCANT I USE TO BUY A 8-BALL OF CRACK EVERYDAY.. I WOULD SMOKE HALF AND SELL THE OTHER HALF SO I CAN BUY ANOTHER 8-BALL THE NEXT DAY.. WELL HE GOT CAUGHT AND GOT SENTENCED TO 19 YEARS IN FEDERAL PRISON FOR CONSPIRACY TO DISTRIBUTE CRACK COCAINE..AND THERE'S TONS OF PEOPLE IN HERE WHO ARE FLAT BROKE WITH NOT A POT TO PISS IN...LOCKER EMPTY WITH OUT A SOUP.. OR A BAR OF SOAP TO SHOWER WITH INSTEAD USING THE GOVERNMENT SOAP. ITS A SHAME... DOING ALL THOSE YEARS AND YOU COME HOME FLAT BROKE.. THAT'S WHY PEOPLE COME BACK TO JAIL.. THE SYSTEM IS DESIGNED FOR YOU TO FAIL.. I CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THIS FEDERAL PRISON SHIT IS A BUSINESS!! NOTHING LESS OR MORE...THEY MAKING SO MUCH MONEY FROM THE PHONES,THE EMAIL SYSTEM.. THE MP3 PLAYERS FOR MUSIC AND COMMISSARY,ETC ETC.. AT THE END OF THE DAY ITS A STR8 UP AND DOWN BUSINESS ..AND ITS A SHAME THAT THEY HOLDING US LIKE THIS.. ITS THE NEW MODERN DAY SLAVERY FOR ALL RACES NOT JUST BLACK.. BUT TO BE HONEST WITH YOU ABOUT 80% OF FEDERAL INMATES ARE BLACK.. BUT LIKE THE BOOK I JUST READ WHICH IS CALLED "THE NEW JIM CROW" THEY SAY IN THE BOOK THIS IS THE NEW FORM OF SLAVERY AND I BELIEVE IT BEST BELIEVE THAT.. WELL IM A START TALKING MORE ABOUT HOW WE NEED "PRISON REFORM" CAUSE THEY CANT JUST LOCK US AWAY AND THINK THE DRUG PROBLEM WILL DISAPPEAR CAUSE IT WONT WE ALL KNOW THAT.. EVERY KINGPIN THAT COMES TO THE FEDS 9 MORE ARE BORN!!!! THAT'S JUST THE WAY THE GAME GOES.. WELL YALL I WANA WISH EVERYONE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING BE SAFE OUT THERE AND STAY SUCKER FREE..COOK A NICE TURKEY IN HAZELTON, P.A ON WILSON DRIVE..MAKE SURE YALL DON'T COOK THE TURKEY TO DRY!!!! LOL LOL LOL.. #HAPPYTHANKSGIVING.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Edouard Glissant - Poetics of Relation (some concepts)

Errantry (errance) 18- errantry does not proceed from renunciation nor from frustration regarding a supposedly deteriorated (deterritorialized) situation of origin; it is not a resolute act of rejection or an uncontrolled impulse of abandonment. - The thought of errantry is a poetics, which always infers that at some moment it is told. The tale of errantry is the tale of Relation. 21- The thinking of errancy conceives of totality but willingly renounces any claims to sum it up or possess it. 20- The thought of errantry is not apolitical nor is it inconsistent with the will to identity, which is, after all, nothing other than the search for a freedom within particular surroundings. Rhizomatic thought / rhizome 18- the rhizome- prompting the knowledge that identity is no longer completely within the root but also in Relation. Poetics of Relation 11- each and every identity is extended through a relationship with the Other 20- in the poetics of Relation, one who is erra

Fred Moten: "Blackness and Nonperformance"

My new friend

Loneliness is a feeling that's been following me around a lot this semester. What are friends? I thought I knew but I must have been wrong. It's funny how people you've worked with, laughed with, engaged with, seem to forget who you are once you've decided to be true to yourself. What are they afraid of? What has changed? How can gender affect even the most platonic of University friendships?  "I know what it feels like to be stared at for my appearance", she said to me. "My name's Kenisha. What's yours?" I needed a few seconds to realise she was talking to me. Nobody talks to me. Even those who used to. "Didn't we take a class together last fall?" She was right. But we never talked then. So there we were, sipping tea outside the library building. "What you said earlier, were you refering to the color of your skin?", I asked. She smiled. "I was refering to my blackness, yes. I've seen you sitting alo